My love affair with turmeric continues. I love porridge but until I discovered Ayurveda I often felt as if I had rocks in my tummy after eating it. Thankfully I now have a very simple remedy for this. Soaking the oats overnight in cold water makes them more digestible, make sure you drain off the soaking water before you cook them.
Oats are the perfect choice for anyone who is a pitta type as they are slightly cooling, this is the perfect recipe for menopausal women who are suffering from hot flushes or for anyone suffering from diarrhoea or hot skin conditions.
Turmeric helps to rekindle digestive fire known as agni so if you are having any issues with your digestive system I suggest adding it to as many meals as possible in your day.
1 cup organic rolled oats
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups organic unhomogenised milk
1 tablespoon Bioglan Cacao & Coconut breakfast booster or topping of your choice
- Soak the oats in cold water overnight, make sure they are covered with water.
- Soak the almonds in cold water overnight.
- Drain the water from the oats and almonds and discard.
- Place the oats into a saucepan, add the salt, turmeric, cinnamon and milk, cook over a low to medium heat for 10 minutes or until the oats until thick and creamy. You may want to add more milk depending on how thick you like your porridge.
- Serve topped with chopped soaked almonds and the cacao & coconut mixture.
- Sweeten with a little organic raw honey if you wish but I find adding salt and cinnamon to the porridge make it naturally sweet.