I have been craving carrot cake for over a week now, so yesterday we had a lunch to go so I bit the bullet and make a gluten free carrot cake to take along. It was really tasty so I thought I would share the recipe with you.
Gluten free spiced carrot cake
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300ml olive oil
4 carrots, grated
1 apple, grated
2 cups gluten free flour (i used brown rice and arrowroot combo)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon each baking powder and bi carbonate soda
120g hazelnuts, chopped
125g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
250g cream cheese, softened and chopped
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180C Grease and line a 24cm round springform tin with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Add the oil and beat until combined.
- Fold in the grated carrot, apple, flour, spices and nuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Set aside to cool in the tin.
- To make the icing, beat the butter, cream cheese and maple syrup until lightly and creamy.
- Cut the cake in half using a serrated edge knife and spread with half the icing. Top with the other half and finish with the remaining icing. Decorate and serve.